Puffy yellow Mold or Fungus on the soil - what is it? How do I treat It? - Knowledgebase Question

Libertyville, IL
Question by lindabolson
May 30, 2006
I have a puffy yellow mold or fungus on top of my soil in one spot. What is it and how do I treat it? Will it do damage to surrounding plants?


Image
Answer from NGA
May 30, 2006

0

Welcome to the wonderful world of slime molds! These goopy fungi (Myxomycetes) live on dead organic matter and thrive in moist conditions. You can rake it out and dump it in the trash; especially in the early stages before it spreads its spores. Increasing the air circulation and allowing the soil to dry out will help eliminate the stuff. To help stop the growth of slime mold, water early in the morning to allow the grass to dry before nightfall, and try raking any thatch on the soil surface to help expose it to air and sunlight. Slime molds are perfectly harmless -- just not too pleasant to look at!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"