Landscaping - Knowledgebase Question

Malden, MA (Zone 6A)
Avatar for jayparlee
Question by jayparlee
May 31, 2006
I bought a home that once had a above ground pool in the yard. The yard now slopes down causing a ditch. I would like to know what to use to fill it in and level the yard. Can you help?
Thank you!

Answer from NGA
May 31, 2006
Often, a yard is purposely graded with a slope toward a ditch or swale to direct excess rain, snowmelt and runoff water away from the foundation of the house or to direct the runoff to a desired area such as storm drains or a creek. This is usually done to prevent flooding and even a slight ditch or depression can carry a lot of water during a rainy spell. So I would strongly suggest you consult on site with a trained professional with experience in grading and drainage before you try to fill it in.

If you do decide to fill it in, it would be best to use soil that is a close match to the existing soil on site. This will help any plantings such as lawn to stay consistent between the old and new soils. It will also help avoid interface problems between the native soil and the fill. Loosen the existing soil before adding the fill so you can have a blended interface rather than two separate levels. I hope this helps.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by chhari55 and is called "Golden Sedum (Sedum adolphi)"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.