Squirls eating my Hibiscus blooms - Knowledgebase Question

Alexandria, VA (Zone 7A)
Question by hefsnapp
I have two hibiscus trees planted in pots on my pstio. I have been noticing that squirls are climbing up into the trees and breaking the branches and eating the new blooms that have not yet opened. Any suggestions on keeping them out?

0

You might try a hot pepper wax spray or one of the spray on animal repellents sold at the garden center, or possibly a garlic-based spray. Or, you could enclose each plant in wire mesh such as chicken wire or metal window screen and see if they learn they can't get to it and then eventually forget it is there -- and you can remove the wrapping. Thorny branches stuck into the soil of the container might also help if they have to stand there to snatch the flower buds. Good luck!