Finding Bottlebrush Plant - Knowledgebase Question

York, PA
Question by jetnace
Where can I get seeds or a plant of something known commonly as "Bottlebrush Plant"? Will it grow in my area? Is it an annual or perennial?

0

Bottlebrush Plant or Callistemon is a perennial plant (sometimes in shrub form) which is native to Australia. There are about 25 species of Callistemon; unfortunately, though some can withstand light frosts, none is hardy in your area.

In its native habitat, Callistemon grows in wet, sometimes swampy conditions. You can obtain seed for this plant from SBE Exotics at http://www.seedman.com/hp.html
Other plants that go by the common name bottlebrush plant include Melaleuca species. These shrubby plants grow only in Mediterranean-type climates. And also species of the genus Metrosideros--again, not hardy in the north.

It is possible that there is another plant that goes by the common name "bottlebrush plant". If you can find out the genus and species, we can do some further research for you.