Evergreen truning brown - Knowledgebase Question

Appleton, WI
Question by rhadm1
I have several small evergreen shrubs in my front yard. I just purchased and planted them this spring. Two of the shrubs are starting to turn brown/rust colored. What is this due to?

Thanks

0

You didn't name the shrubs so I'm not sure I can identify the problem - some shrubs are prone to specific problems and others are not. I can offer the following general information - since your evergreens were only recently planted, it's possible they are going through some transplant stress. Foliage can turn brown while the roots are becoming established. Some evergreens (broadleaf, mainly) will replace the lost leaves; conifer types may not replace the lost needles. Be sure your evergreens are receiving the right sun exposure, are planted at the same level as they were growing in the nursery containers, that they are planted in well draining soil, and that you are watering deeply once each week to help the root systems become established. Hope this information helps!