Choosing Petunias by Growth Habit - Knowledgebase Question

Midland, MI
Question by danjane100
I ordered supercascade blue petunia seeds with the plan to use them in a flower bed behind some white alyssum and in front of red salvia. However, the packet says that this petunia is best used in baskets and containers. What exactly is a cascade pentunia? What is it's habit? Should I look for something else for use in a flower bed?

0

The word "cascade" is the clue - the plant tumbles and trails beautifully from hanging baskets and containers. There are other petunias bred for bedding purposes, and they will likely do better in a garden than the supercascades, which may spreadand run all over the alyssum and salvia! Look for variety descriptions that mention "suitable for bedding". They'll be better behaved!