Horseradish Root - Knowledgebase Question

Broadview,hts., OH
Question by JMorselli
Is there any way to grow horseradish root from seeds. I have always bought the root in the store and only sometimes do they have the little greens on the bottom. I planted this and it grew and it take years to grow big enough to use.

0

If you think it took a long time that way, seeds take even longer! Horseradish is very difficult to grow from seed. Probably the reason the horseradish you purchased at the store and tried to grow failed is because it was treated with a chemical beforecoming to the store to inhibit future growth. This extends shelf life. The same thing usually happens when we try to plant store bought garlic. Try purchasing a horseradish root for growing from an organic supplier such as Johnny's Selected Seed at ph. (207) 437-4301 or visit the website at www.johnnyseeds.com. Horseradish likes full sun (but will tolerate only 4 hours a day-- just produce slower and less roots) and likes at least 1" of water a week during the growing season. It's easy to keep horseradish happy-- just apply a few shovelfuls of composted manure in spring and mulch in summer to keep the soil moisture constant.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"