honeysuckle won't bloom - Knowledgebase Question

LeClaire, Io
Question by clo41
I put in white honeysuckle last spring. It vined out real nice but no blooms. I was sure I would have flowers this year but again no blooms. I read that you shouldn't prune them back the first year and I thought that meant to treat them like clematis so I didn't prune the vines from last year. They are planted on lattice and get morning sun but afternoon is shaded.

0

Honeysuckles bloom on new growth so pruning is necessary or you'll have flowers only at the top of your trellis. And, honeysuckles bloom best in all day sunshine. I'm afraid morning sun only will reduce your plants' ability to bloom and may lead to diseases such as powdery mildew. Why not move your plant to a sunnier spot now while it's still young?