Rose Glow Barberry Shrub - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, NY
Question by LOC629
I had someone transplant a Rose Glow Barberry Shrub that was about 4 feet in height to another spot in my backyard about 3 weeks ago and now the leaves are turning orange and yellow and the branches look a little dry i started to give it more water do you think that wil save it from dyiing? Any suggestions will be very much appreicated!

Thanks

0

The best time to transplant is very early spring or in the fall, so it is probably somewhat stressed. When you transplant, it is important to take as much of the root system as possible, replant at the same depth as it grew before, then water as needed to keep the soil evenly moist like a wrung out sponge -- not saturated and not sopping wet, but not dried out. Mulching with several inches of organic mulch over the root area can also help keep the soil moist.

Since it was transplanted a bit late and is definitely showing signs of stress, I would suggest you cut it back by a third to a half its size to compensate for roots lost in the transplanting. To know if you need to water, dig into the soil with your finger. If it is still damp, do not water yet. When you do water, water slowly and thoroughly so it soaks down to the deepest roots. After watering, wait a few hours and then dig down to see how far the water soaked in; sometimes it can be surprising. I hope this helps.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"