Hibiscus turning yellow - Knowledgebase Question

hudsonville, mi
Question by lindywaites6
Every year I have to plant a new hibiscus because mine never come back. Thay are my favorite plant. Every year they are just absolutely beautiful, however this year they are turning yellow. The leaves start looking spotted yellow and within 2 to 3 days they are fully yellow and if you touch the leaves they fall off. The flowers are still pretty but I have noticed that I don't have as many flowers as I normally have. Do you have any ideas as to what may be the problem? I also have a hosta and some of our bell pepper plants in our garden are yellow too but the peppers are looking much better.The hosta however turns yellow and then the leaves turn brown and it is appearing that it may fully die. The hibiscus is planted every year in the same spot. Thank you very much for your time and hopefully your tips on saving my plants.

0

Hibiscus is not winter hardy in your region which is why you need to keep replacing your plant. It's normal for some of the older leaves to turn yellow. Simply pull them off so your plant looks more attractive. If even the new growth is turning yellow, it could indicate over-watering or a need for fertilizer. Feed your hibiscus with a water soluable fertilizer (such as Peter's or Miracle-Gro), spraying the foliage as well as pouring it in the ground around the roots of your plant. This should help your plant green up.

Hosta leaves can turn yellow if the plants are over-watered or the soil doesn't drain well. Try watering deeply but infrequently during the summer months to help avoid crown or root rot.

Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"