gardenia bushes - Knowledgebase Question

tallahassee, fl
Question by rattles1441
i have gardenia bushes that have to be at least 15 yrs old. one bush has a scale or fungus on the branches and its killing my bush. this substance is grey in color, in the spring it blooms some green hairy looking strands. this is not affecting the bush next to it and i have 5 bushes. i have checked for other varmints that could be doing my bushes harm; but find no bugs of any kind. i really do need help with this. i appreciate anyone that knows what this scale is. i have found it on other tree branches that have died and fallen from the tree. HELP i love my bushes.

0

Mary,

That almost sounds like small lichen or spanish moss growing on it. I suggest that you take a sample from the plant along with a photo of the plant in its growing location (if possible) to your County Extension Office to see if they can help identify the problem and recommend an appropriate course of action. Their contact information is:

615 Paul Russell Road
Tallahassee, FL 32301
850-606-5202