Euphorbia Spurge - Knowledgebase Question

kitchener, on
Question by judy_macmill
I have just planted two groups of euphorbia spurge flanking a lady's mantle in a small bed. This area will get the west and north wind in the winter. Should I burlap these plants or protect them in another way from the elements?

Many thanks for your expertise.

Judy
judy_macmillan@hotmail.com

0

This plant is native to the Mediterranean region and was introduced to the US as an ornamental. Fleshy, blue-green leaves form tight spirals around spreading, prostrate stems. Bright yellow-green, showy bracts surround inconspicuous flowers in early spring. Prefers dry, well-drained soils in part to full sun; it is a popular rock garden ornamental. Euphoribia Spurge is hardy in zones 5-8 and you are in zone 5A. It should winter over without burlap; you can mulch heavily in late fall to protect the roots of your plants. Best wishes with your garden!