Weeping Norway Spruce - Knowledgebase Question

Brooklyn, NY
Question by campbellni
Can the Weeping Norway Spruce be maintained in a large planter instead of in the ground?

0

You might be able to grow it in a very large planter for at least a few years, but it is not something I would recommend. The main problem with container growing is that the winter cold and also the freeze thaw cycles will stress the tree because the roots are not very well insulated in a container. It is important with container evergreens to keep the soil slightly moist any time it is not frozen and to protect the plant from drying winds both summer and winter. Ultimately, too, this is a fairly large plant and the roots will need a proportionately large space to support the top growth. You could experiment and see how it works for you, but my personal feeling is that this is a fairly expensive plant to lose.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"