Container Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Chesterfield, MO
Question by Champ1002
Can Bush Early Girl, or any other full-size tomato, be grown in a large pot?

0

You bet they can! A good thing too, that is how I get my best tomato crop. Your only consideration is the size of the pot. I am of the opinion that you get the best harvest of container grown tomatoes when using a container such as a half whiskey barrel. Those roots really need to expand, they have a lot of work to do. I have also planted in 20" and 24" plastic terra cotta pots with great success. Be sure to plant the tomatoes in rich soil, enhanced with organic matter such as compost, leafmould, or composted cow manure. They are in a closed system and can't stretch out for nutrition like tomatoes in the garden can. Also, keep on top of watering, containers dry out quickly. A layer of mulch at the base of the tomato is great. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"