Plant that died - Knowledgebase Question

Ballwin, MO
Question by bhakes
I purchased a Polemonium 'Stairway to Heaven' and planted it in my garden this spring. It has died - or is it a perennial that will come back again in the spring?

0

This plant is sensitive to excessive summer heat, although it seems to be a bit more resiliant than some of the polemonium cultivars. It may have gone dormant, but unfortunately I suspect it may have actually died in your (extremely) hot summer weather. You can hope for the best and keep the soil just slightly moist, like a wrung out sponge and not saturated. Keep it mulched with two to three inches of organic mulch to try to keep the soil cooler. It should also be in a cool shady location, think woodland with dappled light or a little gentle morning sun.