Wisteria tree - Knowledgebase Question

Tonawanda, NY
Question by BarkBark42
Can I dig up and move a eight year old wisteria tree without hurting it. Also, wondering how shallow the roots run. Could tree roots bother home foundation.

0

Unfortunately I do not think you can successfully transplant an eight year old wisteria tree. The roots on wisteria are extensive; they will be very deep and spread out over a wide area as well. If you try to dig it you will leave too many roots behind. And, the remaining roots may well sprout up all over. I would not recommend it.

As a general rule, roots do not bother a foundation or underground pipes that are in good condition. However if there is an imperfection the roots will exploit it and can make it worse.