Controlling morning glory - Knowledgebase Question

Mountain View, CA
Question by barbara_tele
How do I control my neighbor's morning glory vine that is sending it's runners over to my yard?

0

Wild morning glory, or field bindweed, is difficult to control once established. It forms a deep, extensive root system and pulling the tops only encourages new sprouts from the roots. To kill it, cultivate or hoe every 6 weeks throughout the growing season; this eventually weakens the root system. Don't let bindweed set seed; the hard-coated seeds can sprout even after lying dormant in the soil for years. An herbicide containing trifluralin may provide pre-emergence control around many ornamentals. In mid-summer, when bindweed is growing vigorously but has not yet set seed, spot-treat patches with glyphosate, taking care to avoid contact with desirable plants.