How to plant bamboo for privacy without invading your neighbors yard. - Knowledgebase Question

Grapevine, TX
Question by sammc
We are planning to plant bamboo around the perimeter of our fence for privacy. We will also be installing a new fence. How can we keep the bamboo where we want it? What type is best (we need at least 15-20 feet).

0

You have two choices. You can plant spreading types, and be very diligent about keeping it in bounds, by diligent mowing, a buried barrier or large ditch, by severly limiting water availability, etc. Better, I think, would be to choose a clumping varietythat will be easier to manage.

When you say 15-20', I assume you mean the height of the plant. The variety Sinarundinaria netida is a clumping bamboo that is hardy to -20F; it grows well in both sun and shade.