Bougainvillea - Knowledgebase Question

Victoria, BC
Question by peterbarrow
Dear Madam/Sir:

I bought a Scarlet O' Hara Bougainvillea that came from your nursery. It came in a 10 inch wide and about a 12 inch high pot and was wondering what gallon size is this? I would also like to know what size pot should I put the plant in? Thank you.

Sincerely yours,
Peter Barrow

0

It sounds like a 5-gallon squat pot. Unless your bougainvillea has roots coming out the drainage holes, it probably doesn't need repotting immediately. If you'd like to put it in a decorative pot, simply set the nursery pot in the decorative pot and place spaghnum moss over the top. When it's time to repot, go to the next sized pot (7-gallon) and use fresh potting soil. Bougainvilleas resent having their roots disturbed so when you repot, try not to move the roots around too much.

Best wishes with your bougainvillea!