Lawn Term - Knowledgebase Question

South Glastonbury, CT (Zone 5B)
Avatar for cbreen24
Question by cbreen24
August 8, 2006
I don't understand what you mean by 'installing tiles'. Can you explain further?

Answer from NGA
August 8, 2006
Drain tiles are sometimes called a French Drain. In some situations, a French drain facilitates water drainage. A French drain is a ditch-like trench, filled with rock or gravel. The rock should round the top, preventing soil from covering the drain. The trench must slope at least 1 to 3 percent, and flow to an outlet.

You basically dig a trench about 12" deep and 6-8" wide and fill it with river rock or gravel. Excess water will run into this area and help keep your lawn from being soggy wet.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Hello Pumpkins.."

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.