Harry Lauder's Walking Stick - Knowledgebase Question

Kirkwood, MO
Question by trbeidle
I purchased and planted a Walking Stick earlier this year. While it continues to get new growth some of the older leaves are brown around the edges. Any ideas as to the cause??

0

It's always a good sign when a plant puts out new growth so I'd say your contorted filbert is happy in its location. Foilage with brown margins usually indicates over-watering or over-fertilization. Either can stress the root system. Since your plant is newly installed in the landscape, I'd guess the adjustment is leading to the stress and as soon as the root system is firmly established, it will stop producing brown margins on the leaves. In the meantime, water deeply once each week and wait patiently for the leaves to fall (so you can see the extraordinary branching pattern). Rake the leaves up and dispose of them. Next spring the foliage it develops should be healthier.

Best wishes with your landscape!