Blue Hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, az
Question by jeannetted
I had a Lilac Hibiscus tree and it died recently due to wind storm blew over, but we also had record heat this summer here in Arizona. The card I got with the tree that is the care information said it was for full sun, but Arizona is extremely hot in the summer. Is Arizona a good state to grow this tree?

0

I'm sorry your plant didn't make it. Often called blue hibiscus, Alyogyne huegelii will grow here, but any plant is susceptible when we get our fierce windstorms, especially if the root system isn't well established, especially if your area was hit by some of the microburst winds that have been common this last month. On another point, plant tags that say full sun do not always apply here because as you noted, our full sun is hot! This plant is native to Australia, another hot, dry climate, so it will typically take our conditions. Where a plant is native to is one way to determine if full sun is appropriate. If native to the northeastern U.S., as an example, full sun would be quite different. If in doubt, try to put a plant where it gets full morning sun but has shade in the hot afternoons, such as a morning/eastern exposure. I hope this info helps.