fertilizing banana trees - Knowledgebase Question

Kenosha, Wi
Question by jmajerko
I have several monrovia banana trees I purchased from a local nursery. They are musa basjoos and look healthy. On the tag there is a picture of the tree and the leaves are standing upright. On mine, the newest leaves are upright but the older ones droop. Is this an indication that I am not feeding them enough? I water every or every other day and they get full sun. Thank you.

0

It's natural for the older leaves to droop slightly. This is the plants way of protecting the tender stem from sunscald. As a rule, fertilizing isn't as important as providing ample water. You can feed if you'd like. Use a water-soluable fertilizers (Miracle-Gro, Peter's, etc.) and apply according to label directions.

Best wishes with your banana trees!