Turfgrass for Mississippi Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Meridian, MS
Question by steph3221
I am building a new home and would like to know if I can grow Kentucky green grass in my area. The ground is clay and I will have 4" of top soil added. Also, do you have any information about such grass seed. I would like too know were I can buy it and price.

0

Do you mean Kentucky Blue Grass? I've never heard of Kentucky Green Grass. Also, since your subsoil is clay, make sure to landscape the area to improve drainage. Often subsoil around new homes is compacted due to heavy machinery traffic, which could be a real problem with clay. It has the potential to collect water below the topsoil and cause problems for plants and turf that don't like having "wet feet". I'd say a variety of Improved Bermudagrass is most likely to do well in your region and soil type, but before going through the expense of seeding a lawn, contact your extension service (ph# 601/482-9764) for a free, second opinion. They'll be able to advise you better based on your soil conditions.