Trumpet Vine - Knowledgebase Question

Reston, va
Question by mariannebowl
About 10 years ago I planted a Trumpet Vine too close to the house and need to remove it. I have tried digging it out but it continues to sprout. I am cutting it back all the time but the vine is now growing under the siding and forcing it away from the framework. For obvious reasons I cannot use

0

This plant can be difficult to eradicate as you have seen. You might try applying an herbicide containing glyphosate. Allow the foliage to grow so there is ample foliage to contact the herbicide. Late summer to early fall is a good time of year to apply it because that is when the roots begin building their reserves for the winter. Read and follow all of the label directions and be sure to wait the recommended time before removing the top growth -- the chemical must be allowed time to move from the foliage down through the plant to the roots. This may require more than one application since the roots are relatively large compared to the surface growth.