Blaze Climbing Rose - Knowledgebase Question

Brick, NJ
Question by chazw199
I have a 2 year old Blaze Climber that is almost doing too good. In June it was full of flowers but has now grown almost 12 feet tall and there is nothing that I can attach it to as the trellis is only 6 foot tall. I would like to cut it down to 6 feet but I don't want to harm it with fall approaching. Should I leave it alone and cut it in late winter or can I cut it now. Thank you

0

Twelve feet is not unusual for this rose so perhaps you would be happier with a smaller plant, or perhaps you could train it horizontally so it is not so tall. I mention this because, unfortunately, if you prune it back constantly you will never see the full flower display. I would not prune it now because that would stimulate late season growth and make the plant less winter hardy as a result. Pruning is usually done in late winter or early spring. Some of the wildness can be controlled by cutting back the laterals (side branches) so each has just a few buds on it, as well as tipping the longer canes. Training them horizontally also seems to enhance flowering.