STARTING A LAWN - Knowledgebase Question

Carson City, NV (Zone 5B)
Question by rayneetee
WHAT DO I NEED TO PREPARE MY GROUND TO LAY DOWN SOD OR TURF. AND IF I WERE TO PLANT MY LAWN USING SEED, HOW DO I KEEP THE BIRDS FROM EATING THE SEEDS.

0

Here are basic steps for preparing soil for lawns below. As for the birds, you can't stop them, but lawn seed is small, and application rates sufficient for germination to create the lawn!

Remove all debris, large rocks, old turf and weeds.

Establish rough grade one inch below sprinkler heads.

Wet the soil to a depth of 6 to 9 inches. Let it dry for two days.

Add soil amendments. At least two inches of nitrified wood mulch or other organic matter. 100 pounds of gypsum per 1000 square feet of lawn. Ammonium phosphate (16-20-0) according to package instructions. Till in amendments to a depth of 4 to 6 inches, preferably 6 to 8.

Install sprinklers or check that existing sprinklers provide full coverage.

Water to settle everything in and build water reserves. Allow the soil to dry for one or two days so that it is workable. It should crumble easily.

Rake and level. Foll the area with a lawn roller half filled with water.

Plant seed or sod.