Peace Lily Problems - Knowledgebase Question

Grand Rapids, MI
Question by mollantj
My friend and I both have peace plants that have brown ends on the leaves (someone said use warm water on them!) and our plants haven't bloomed since we got them in summer of '96. Help!

0

Peace plant, peace lily, or spathiphyllum--this plant needs to be kept evenly moist, but not too wet. It thrives in indirect light--they can get some direct sunlight but should not be left in the bright sun all day. In fact, one of their best features isthat they don't require lots of sun, and so are common office plants.

It's quite common to have those dry ends on the leaves. Often with houseplants, it's a sign of overwatering, but with peace lilies, as you might know, it's a little harder. You can't let them dry out--if you do, they will wilt dramatically--they will collapse to the floor and look dead. When you water them they'll perk up quickly. Often, these brown tips are worst when you've had to revive them a fewtimes.

Try to keep soil moisture even--don't let the plant dry out then water heavily. It's sometimes a difficult balance to achieve with this plant. If it's in a particularly dark spot, try moving it to where it gets a little more light. A brighter spot might also help stimulate it to flower. Unfortunately, peace lilies are often hesitant to flower once they are brought indoors, from being pampered in a warm, humid greenhouse.