Pruning Eucalyptus - Knowledgebase Question

Mission, BC
Question by lbroom26
Hello:) I have 3 Silver Dollar Trees (Eucalyptus) and they've survived one winter so far and seem to be flourishing. The stakes I staked them with upon planting last fall are now too small so I'm going to re-stake them. I was wonder when the best time to prune them would be (fall or spring) and if there are any special instructinos to pruning them.
Thanks Lori:)

0

You can prune in the spring so the tree has all summer to develop new growth which will have time to harden off before cold weather arrives. If you prune in late summer or fall, any new growth it develops won't have time to mature and can suffer from winter kill. Eucalyptus usually responds well to spring pruning. The rule of thumb is to remove no more than one-third of any live growth during any one pruning session.

Best wishes with your Silver Dollar trees!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"