Japanese Maple in bad spot. - Knowledgebase Question

O Fallon, MO
Question by kkberry7
Hi, I recently moved to a new house with existing landscaping. A japanese maple (Garnet or Waterfall) was planted in front of the garage in between the driveway and the front sidewalk (bad spot). The trunk is about 5+

0

There are several options. One would be to reroute the sidewalk to allow more space for the tree, another would be to remove the tree, another would be to transplant the tree and yet another would be to try to prune the tree to keep it within bounds. For the last two options, transplant or prune, I would strongly suggest you work with a professionally trained and ISA certified arborist who specializes in ornamental trees. It should be possible to transplant the tree but it may require some professional equipment as well as possibly advance root pruning to prepare the tree if the trunk is five inches across. If you opt to try pruning, it would be best to have a professional show you how to do it and help you begin retraining it so as to maintain the tree's health and structure for the long haul. All the best with your tree!