Fragile Old Jade Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Herndon, VA
Question by ilogb
I have a 20 year old Jade plant and it is so fragile I cannot even turn the pot around without leaves falling off. Is this normal or do I need to trim it way back?

0

It's normal in my experience, unless the leaves are deformed or discolored - that would indicate a problem, such as extremems of moisture or temperature. Jade plants propogate themselves with fallen leaves, as do some other succulent plants. If you stick the fallen leaves stem first into pots of moist soil, they should take root quickly. It sounds like your jade should soon be replaced by smaller plants anyway, if it's getting so large. You can take stem cuttings to start plants if you want them to grow more quickly rather than using the fallen leaves.