Cranberry Cotoneaster spacing - Knowledgebase Question

Winchester, KS
Question by blyon55
I just bought 2 Monrovia Cranberry Coteaster at a Topeka nursery. I asked the man working the cash register how far apart I should plant them if I want them to grow together so that they'd look more or less like one shrub/mound. He suggested 3 feet apart, which surprised me. Would you agree?

By the way, these will be in partial shade about 15' away from the trund of a very large tree. I'm in NE Kansas, zone 5.

Thank you.

0

Cotoneaster apiculatus 'Tom Thumb' is a dwarf variety which grows 1-2' tall and 5' wide. The standard Cranberry Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster apiculatus) grows 3' tall and 6' wide. In either case, the nurseryman was correct. Spacing 3' apart will allow the plants to grow together into a single mound. Best wishes with your new cotoneasters!