living fence - Knowledgebase Question

Dallas, TX (Zone 8A)
Question by mel38
Can you tell me the best evergreen to use for the Dalllas, Tx. area? I'm looking at a height of 5ft or more. Something fast growing.

0

There are two plants commonly used as evergreen screening plants in your growing region:
Nellie R. Stevens Holly (Ilex x attenuata), which has a pyramidal shape and is densely leaved with glossy deep green foliage. It is a prolific producer of bright red berries, which remain until early March. This Holly is often used a screen to provide year-round privacy. It grows about 2' per year, reaching a mature height of 13' and a width of about 10'.

Leyland Cypress (Cupressocyparis leylandii); a fast growing evergreen with fine dark green branchlets arranged in flattened, slightly-drooping sprays. Leyland Cypress does best in deeply dug, fertile, well-drained soil in full sun, but Leyland Cypress can be grown in partial shade. Leyland Cypress is often used as a tall screen or hedge because of its dense pyramidal shape. It grows about 3' per year, reaching a mature height of 16-20' and 8-10' wide.

Hope one of these is just right for your landscape!