20' evergreen foliage screen - Knowledgebase Question

Los Angeles, ca
Question by bschend
We need a 20-30' screen to block out an unsightly view, that is not messy, evergreen, safe for a dog who eats everything on the ground and pest and disease resistant with little upkeep and will provide immediate privacy. We have looked at bamboo and cypress. Any suggestions? We are ready to buy and plant immediately. Thank you.

0

I think bamboo is probably your best choice for a dense screening plant that is not messy, is evergreen and is safe if pets decide to chomp on it. Most bamboo's are pest resistant. I'd choose a clumping type bamboo rather than a running one. Clumping bamboos typically do not get out of hand the way running bamboos can. Bambusa multiplex 'Alphonso-Karr' - Alphonse Karr Bamboo - is a popular choice; Bambusa textilis - Weaver's Bamboo - is another favorite; Himalayacalamus falconeri 'Damarapa' - Candy-Stripe Bamboo - has pink and green culms.

Best wishes with your new bamboo!