Transplanting Amaryllis - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, TX
Question by skyhawk
I have many Amaryllis bulbs that have been in a flower bed for years. I need to move them. Is there a safe way to do this without damaging the bulbs? Is there any type of tap root I need to look for? They have grown and multiplied tremendously throughthe years.

0

Your Amaryllis bulbs should be moved during their dormant season, which is in the autumn, after the leaves have died back. You may be able to move them now before spring if you do it right away. Each plant should have its own bulb, and most of the roots have probably disappeared over the winter, so don't be surprised to find just bare bulbs in the soil. To prevent damage to the bulbs, try carefully digging the entire bed with a garden spade to dislodge the bulbs. If they're really crowded, you may have to dig by hand. Discard any bulbs that have cuts or open wounds on them, to prevent introducing disease into your new garden plot.