Hibiscus problems - Knowledgebase Question

Mound, MN
Question by pdkstrista
I have 3 Hibiscus plants. They have been outdoors all summer. Now, I brought them into the house. The leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I am still getting some blooms, but they don't last.

The same thing happened last year. Help!!!!!!!!!!

0

Moving plants indoors from outdoors can be a real shock to their system because the conditions are usually so different. Yellowing and dropping leaves is a typical reaction. Don't fertilize for a month or so, but continue watering at a slightly reduced level. Don't prune now, as cutting back at this point is also a shock. Resume fertilizing at about half strength. The plant might go dormant for a while and then new growth will appear. In spring, slowly acclimate your plant to moving back outdoors by putting it outside in a sheltered location for a couple hours at a time, gradually increasing the time period. In fall, do that in reverse, rather than abruptly moving from outside to inside, which will help lessen the shock. Tropical hibiscus flowers last only one day. Wish they remained on the plant longer, but they don't.

I hope this info helps!