china girl holly - Knowledgebase Question

cleveland, tn
Question by momaperry65
October 16, 2006
is the berries on the china girl holly poison? i have small grandchildren and wanted to be sure thanks for the info.


Image
Answer from NGA
October 16, 2006

0

According to the California Poison Hotline web site the holly berries (Ilex) are toxic and will cause illness (vomiting and diarrhea), but they do mention that just one or two berries probably would not hurt you. However, it is always a good idea to teach children not to eat ornamental plants. Many of them are in fact quite toxic. Here is the website if you want to read further. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

http://www.calpoison.org/publi...

I hope this helps.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose Mind Games"