Indoor windmill palm - Knowledgebase Question

Everett, WA
Question by gemipuha
I was given a windmill palm and would like to know if I could keep the plant indoors for this winter and plant outdoors in the spring?
I believe that it is a little cold now to plant outside, hence the reason for the question. I was thinking I could put it into another container for indoor purposes and then in the spring take it outdoors. there hasn't been a frost on the ground yet, but it's chilly enough to make me think about it. Thank you very much, Michelle Puha

0

Windmill palms are among the hardiest of palms and are successfully grown in the Pacific Northwest, all the way up to Vancouver, B.C. You can keep your palm indoors over the winter months if you provide supplemental light (they love sunshine, which is hard to come by in the Seattle area during the winter months). Set your palm in a bright room and use a Gro-Lite to enhance natural light. Plant it outside next spring and it should grow well in your garden.

Enjoy!