About Zone Finder - Knowledgebase Question

Sierra Vista, AZ (Zone 8A)
Question by lacoyote
I live in Whetstone Az and my elevation is 4300ft. My regional report puts me in the same zone as Phoenix, which is much hotter than here. I am trying to find out if I need to worry about frost. Our nights are down to 37 at night (cold to us}. Also, I would like to grow gourds. Can you offer any tips and do you know where I can find seeds?
Thanks
Liz

0

There in Whetstone you rarely get freezing temperatures and rarely get any snow so I wouldn't worry too much about frost. If you're growing tropical or sub-tropical plants such as hibiscus, you might want to cover your plants overnight if the weatherman predicts a freeze. Otherwise, everything should be okay.

Gourds grow just like squash - they're planted in the spring and they mature at the end of the summer. Seeds are usually available in the springtime at most garden centers and grocery stores.

Best wishes with your garden!