broken tree - Knowledgebase Question

Littleton, CO (Zone 5A)
Question by mcoc1
I have a willow tree (not sure what kind of willow). We had a bad snow storm and my tree has broke at the base. The part that has broken still has root to it and I'm not sure what to do. please help...

0

You probably won't be able to assess the total damage until next spring, but you can try to shore it up and hope it mends on its own. Do your best to stake the tree upright and cover any exposed roots. If the trunk is split, you may be able to anchor it back together - if the tree isn't too large. Either use a section of garden hose or other flexible tubing and run some sturdy wire through it, then use it to tie the trunk to close the split. Sometimes the wound will knit together all on its own. If the damage is splintered beyond repair, you may have to cut it away from the healthy part of the tree. Do this as cleanly as possible (ragged, splintered wood can encourage insects and diseases). Hope this gives you enough information to save your willow tree!