Italian Cypress - Knowledgebase Question

Oceanside, CA
Question by rcapra
I am looking to plant several Italian Cypresses behind my pool. I have 6' from the back of the pool to the fence line. My question is are the root systren a concern this close to the pool and do the plants shed at all. Also how close do you plant them? I appreciate your help and quality plants!

Thanks,

Robert

0

Italian cypress are relatively clean, but over the years they will shed their inner needles so there will be some litter. The roots generally won't interfere with an in-ground pool. How close you plant them depends upon their mature width. If you stick with the narrow, upright varieties (var. sempervirens: also called 'fastigiata', 'stricta', and 'pyramidalis' which are columnar or narrowly conical), you can plant them 3-4' apart for a dense privacy screen.

Best wishes with your landscape!