No leaves on yellow groundcover rose - Knowledgebase Question

Brookfield, WI
Question by sarahrykwal
November 13, 2006
Hello, I have a yellow groundcover rose bush that I planted in my garden at the end of May of this year. It is planted in soil with a layer of shredded bark over it. The bush bloomed beautifully through the fall, then lost all of its leaves in a matter of weeks in October. Is the plant dead? Will the leaves grow back in the spring? I have the plant covered for the winter. Do I need to do anything else?

November 13, 2006

0

Roses are deciduous in cold climates and would typically lose their foliage in the fall and winter, so I think what you are seeing is probably normal. The Flower Carpet yellow groundcover rose is considerd winter hardy into zone 4. A heavy mulch over the root area should be sufficient to protect it over the winter. I am not certain what you mean by covering it, but the mulch should be adequate, you would not need to cover the entire plant. It should grow back just fine in the spring, grow leaves and bloom again next summer.