Getting Rid Of Yucca Plant - Knowledgebase Question

West Roxbury, MA
Question by jdoherty
How do you get rid of a yucca plant, with its long tap root? The branches seemed to be very far apart so that the tree had a very airy and light feeling. From my reading, it seems to be a chinese or florida yucca. Anyway, how can I get rid of it?

0

I had the distinct displeasure of having to remove one of these from a friend's yard last summer. It is not easy. The root goes down quite far and suffice it to say, there is a lot of digging involved. Simply digging out the yucca is really the only way I know of to get rid of a yucca plant. We accomplished the task easier by removing all of the fronds and cutting the yucca down to a stump before we started digging. In my experience, I would advise you to plan a full day for this chore.