freezing rain - Knowledgebase Question

dallas, tx
Question by keithmccrate
December 22, 2006
I have had several plants; mexican heather, pink jasmine, purple fountain grass and maiden grass, all got hit hard by 2 days of freezing rain, temps in the mid 20's for 2 days. All of them are looking bad. Will these come back or should I plan on having to replace them. These were all planted this July in new beds with ~2

December 22, 2006

0

The plants you mention are all sensitive to freezing temperatures and probably suffered a great deal during the ice storm. However, the roots may have survived. I'd wait until this spring to make a decision as to whether to dig and replace them. If new growth appears you can simply cut away the winter damage. If nothing green emerges from the roots, I'm afraid the plants will need to be replaced. Let's hope for the best!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"