pollination????? - Knowledgebase Question

Petal, MS (Zone 8A)
Question by pretzelb
my husband and i planted the following fruit trees this weekend(elberta peach, anna apple, owari satsuma mandarin, santa rosa plum, and burbank plum) we also planted a tifblue blueberry bush and a stewart pecan tree.....we are being told by neighbors that in order to produce fruit that we need 2 of each of these trees, is this true???? if so, how close do we need to plant the second one of each????????
my second question is will these survive in petal, ms. (near hattiesburg)?????
thanks for your help.

shawn

0

Shawn,

Of the fruit you mentioned anna apple and tifblue blueberry are going to need another variety for pollination. The two plums, santa rosa and burbank, will pollinate each other. The satsuma doesn't need a pollinator and the pecan will likely be pollinated by other pecans and hicories in the general area as their pollen floats on the wind.

Plant fruit trees within about 100 feet (less is better) for pollination purposes. Those plants will survive but I think the anna apple is a bit too low chilling and thus may bloom to early each year. There are other higher chilling and superior apples to choose from. Your County Extension Office can provide free information on varieties of fruit for your area.