Climbing Potato Vine - Knowledgebase Question

Cranston, RI
Question by inmaui1
Hi there,

I want to plant a potato vine so it will cover a fence in the backyard, will this plant do ok in my Rhode Island Zone? Also, I was wondering when I start my seeds and start indoors before Spring, what time of month or should I say, how long before Spring should I start them indoors? Thanks, Debbie

0

A potato vine will be an annual plant in your gardening region. It will cover a fence, but will die off in the winter and you'll need to start all over again the following spring. If you're looking for something more permanent, you might consider planting Virginia Creeper, or even honeysuckle.

I usually start my seeds indoors 6-8 weeks prior to the last frost of the season. This will give them plenty of time to germinate and grow into transplantable size by the time the soil and the air warm up in the spring. You can start most seeds in mid- to late-February for planting out in early May.

Best wishes with your garden!