Wax Myrtle - Fluid on Bark - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Peter Benjung
Charlotte, N.
Question by pbenjung
My 4 year old wax myrtle has a slightly sticky fluid on several areas of its bark. (I don't know if this is relevant but it was severely pruned last year and is now growing just as I wish.) Is this normal or do I need to do something? Thanks in advance for your help.

0

Unfortunately, based on the fact that it was recently pruned severely I suspect the stickiness may be exuding sap and that, along with staining of the bark, are characteristic of an infection. There is a potential for severe disease which will attack wax myrtle through cuts, either Inonotus heartrot or Ptychogaster wood rot (Inonotus rickii or Ptychogaster cubensis.) I would strongly suggest you work with your local county extension to obtain a specific diagnosis of the problem and based on knowing that, decide how to proceed. I am really sorry.