planting & fertilizing queen palms - Knowledgebase Question

Houma, LA (Zone 9A)
Question by jds02
when planting queen palms should I fertilize the hole if so how much & what kind should I use

0

Dawn,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

Palms usually need a fertilizer with a 3 1 3 or 3 1 2 ration of nutrients plus magnesium. There are products sold as "palm fertilizer" on the market that match these specifications.

Newly planted trees should not be fertilized for at least 3 months after planting. For established trees, you can fertilize lightly 4 times a year, spreading a cup of fertilizer throughout a large circle extending about 5-8 feet outward in all directions for the first year.

Thanks for the question. Best wishes for a wonderful gardening year in 2007. Please stop in again soon!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"