lawn termites - Knowledgebase Question

La Feria, TX (Zone 9A)
Question by LDLRC
WE HAVE A BIG PROBLEM WITH TERMITES IN OUR SO CALLED LAWN. THEY HAVE LEFT US VERY LARGE BALD SPOTS AND NOT MUCH GRASS. WE HAVE ALSO BEEN HAVING A DROUGHT AND WHAT CAN I PUT AROUND THE PLANT TO RETAIN THE WATER WHEN THE SUMMER HEAT IS BEATING DOWN. REMEMBER THE YARD HAS TERMITES SO NOTHING THEY WILL BE ATTRACTED TO.
THANKS,
LYDIA

0

Lydia,

I suspect that the type of termites that were in your lawn are not the type that prefers a wood mulch. The wood infesting termites are known as subterranean termites while those that build their mud tunnels out on the grass in your lawn are known as agriculture or desert termites and prefer soft tissues such as with grasses and forbs. The best thing to put around your plants is mulch made of organic materials such as shredded bark or compost. The non-natural mulches are an option but are not going to help build the soil as they break down like bark and compost will. Compost won't attract the subterranean termites as much as bark.

The following web page has more info on those lawn termites:
http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailyne...

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"