Is it too late to plant roses here? - Knowledgebase Question

Goodyear, AZ
Question by glvesterby
I live in a suburb of Phoenix. I have a raised bed garden with irrigation, facing Southeast. Can I plant roses there? Thank you!

0

Bare-root roses are planted in cool weather from December through January. Container-grown roses can be planted into April, but the sooner the better so they can establish roots before the heat hits. Roses should do well in your raised bed. Be sure to mulch them with 4 inches of organic mulch to reduce soil temperatures, cool their roots, maintain moisture and reduce weeds. Leave a couple inches bare around the stems so that wet mulch doesn't rub against the trunk. There is an excellent rose demonstration garden at Mesa Community College that you might like to visit, at Dobson and Southern, just off the Superstition Freeway (60).